The Alberton area is at the junction of the
Albert and Logan rivers and Alberton was originally
a place name used for the planned town reserve.The Moreton
Bay District opened for free settlement in 1842 and the first
German settlers arrived soon after landing at Bethania in
1864. Between 1861 and 1891, some twenty-one thousand (21,000)
German immigrants arrived in Queensland and settled in the
Logan and Lockyer districts and the Fassifern Valley.
As early as 1863 the first settlers arrived
in Alberton, the greater influx being from Germany. In 1865
a few people settled in our district and these were quickly
followed by more families in 1868. The spiritual needs of
these people were met by coming together in family groups
under the shade of trees and in their rough makeshift homes.
From among their possessions emerged hymn and devotional books,
Bibles and musical instruments with which to praise the Lord.
Life was simple but hard and fruitful throughout
the region's history. With pick, shovel, crowbar and strong
back, people cleared and farmed the land and despite many
problems were good, sturdy, plodding, self-reliant settlers.
By sheer industry and economy, they made the land keep them
while they cleared and brought more of it into cultivation,
growing sugar, corn and small crops. People were content to
make steady progress and not hanker after quick prosperity.
The cattle they slaughtered and the vegetables they grew were
shared amongst neighbours. They had a very hard life but the
thing that kept them going was their faith in God and their
attitude towards their fellow man.
St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Alberton
In 1869 the first Lutheran Church, a
shingle roofed slab church was erected near the cemetery
and given the name "Elkana" meaning "God
has created and blessed". The first ferry across
the river began operation in 1870 and was closely followed
in 1871 by the first Cobb & Co coach travelling
between Beenleigh and Brisbane. The first bridge across
the river was erected at Yatala in 1876.
When the church became too small a larger
church was erected at the present site at Alberton in
1886 and consecrated by Rev.C.Hellmuth in January 1887
and incorporated under the name of St. Petrie. This
early congregation set about the joy of worship amid
the hardships of making a new life for themselves. For
many years the services were conducted in german but
were gradually replaced by english and the first minutes
of a meeting written in English were recorded in 1925.
One of the major concerns of the people
was for their children's education and so a german school
was built in the early 1870s near where the present
manse now stands. Even when a provisional or state school
opened the children still attended the german school
one day per week. Parents learned their english from
their children. These early families had a challenging
life but their love of God and family and their goodwill
to one another saw the area prosper.
Over the years the floods of 1887, 1947
and 1974 have caused havoc in the area. In
January 1887 when 10" (266 mm) of rain fell in
10 hours, the new church became home to seven
families after they lost their homes and posessions
to the river. At times like these the church community
rallies together to provide food and clothing to those
in need and God provided with
large numbers of lobsters in the puddles and a pig that
was found floating on some logs and rubbish.
||In 1919 the German school was demolished
to make way for the manse. The manse was erected and dedicated
on Palm Sunday 1920, followed by the erection of a stable,
buggy shed and fence.
The members of St. Peters have always
been generous, fun loving people ready to put their
own needs behind that of their church. For the 50th
Anniversary in 1937 the church was lined, a new altar
was installed in 1940 and in 1954 the windows were replaced
with the present ones depicting the cross design. Various
renovations were carried out over the years rendering
the care and attention given voluntarily by members.
The present manse was built in 1977.
A hall was built in 1962 and today provides not only
a valuable resource for the church but also a venue
for community meetings, ballet classes and functions.
A bell tower was erected in the 1980's and each Sunday
the bell tolls calling the community to worship. Our
latest addition was the stain glass window in the porch
which was added to the Glory of God in 1999.
|The congregation of St.Peters
has been richly blessed and celebrated its Jubilee, the
60th Anniversary, the 75th Anniversary and its Centenary
as well as special celebration for 125 years of Lutheran
settlement. We pay tribute to the pioneers who sailed
half way round the world to open up a new country where
they could freely worship their Lord. We also thank those
who have upheld the faith over the years and met the changes
that have occured in our community. The one thing that
has always remained a constant, is Jesus: as the verse
at the front of St. Peters church indicates "Jesus,
the same, yesterday, today and forever". Hebrews
13:8. We pray that by thegrace of God we are able
to continue the work of the Lord following in the footsteps
of our Forefathers and through the word and the sacraments
prepare to meet them and come into the glory of the Lords
presence with exceeding joy.
Over the years the members have
had joy in caring for their church and providing facilities
for the activities of the congregation. Generous hearts
have been evident in the donation of items including
church furnishings timber for buildings and renovations
and hours of voluntary labour. Through the generations,
traditions have been preserved and although services
in the German language have long ceased, music still
plays an important part in the worship life of the people
following in the path of the early settlers who, having
no organ, formed a brass band to compliment their services.
It was said that the singing from the first Elkana church
could be heard by the punts on the river.
"If we rise on the wings
of the dawn, If I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will hold me fast."
Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Woongoolba
Originally known as 'Pimpama Island', the
Woongoolba area was settled by German immigrant families in
the 1870s. Services were conducted in homes until a church
was erected in 1882. This building served until the present
church was erected in 1908. It was extensively renovated in
The former St. Johnns Steiglitz amalgamated
with Bethlehem in 1959 and St. Johns, Norwell, joined
in 1973. At various times, congregations at Oxenford, Southport,
Mullumbinby, Canungra and Beaudesert have been served from
the Alberton Parish.
The congregation has had anniversaries for
its 50th, 75th and 100th years of the dedication of the church
as well as celebrating 125 years of Lutheran settlement. The
Christian values of the past are still cherished and many
families have children attending Bethania Lutheran Primary
School and Redeemer College at Rochedale. Over the years,
many people have been welcomed into the congregation and we
are now made up of people from various different backgrounds
which enhances our outlook and commitment.
Many members have passed on or left the district,
however many descendants of original settlers still reside
in the area and many new families have been welcomed.. The
heritage that bonded the people together in a new and strange
land helped to securely build a foundation in which the basics
for the Christian faith are still being laid today.
God be praised that he has not withdrawn
his grace, but in mercy spared us and that His word has been
proclaimed in this area for some 125 uninterrupted years.
Let us pay tribute to the memory of the pioneers who sailed
half way around the world to open up a new country so their
descendants could live in a free world and raise their children
in a healthy climate and under the word of God. As many changes
as there have been, the Gospel of Jesus Christ does not change
and it is by God's love and mercy that we continue to live
and worship in this wonderful area.
We pray that by the grace of God we are able to continue the
work of the Lord following in the footsteps of our forefathers
and through the word and the sacraments, prepare to meet them
and come into the glory of the Lord's presence with exceeding